Friday, September 24, 2010

Labor Day and School Dazed

I'm so far behind with finishing my post for our Disneyworld vacation, but I don't want it to keep me from adding some important updates. First of all, Eva turned 10 on September 3rd! She had an extraordinary birthday "week" of constant celebrations with various family members: Sunday (before) at Kalahari with Daddy and her cousins, Thursday (day) at Grandma Nancy's, Thursday (evening) at home celebrating early, and Friday (her actual birthday) at the Heart concert at DTE (Pineknob) with her dad, cousin Rachel and Aunt Alicia. Eva's Aunt Alicia is a big HUGE Heart fan, and because she's in their fan club, she had front row seats and wanted to treat Eva because it was her birthday. Well, I had reservations about Eva going to an "adult" concert, but I was so happy when she called me from the parking lot afterwards to tell me that they wished her a happy birthday from the stage, and personally gave her guitar picks. Then, afterwards the drummer walked over to her and gave her his drumsticks. Eva didn't care who they were, they were rockstars, and they made her birthday very special. Then on Saturday, we headed up to the Country Chalets in Mio with my family: Rob, Alise, Brian, Diane, Becky, Dan and all my wonderful neices and nephews. It was a very cold Labor Day weekend, but we celebrated Eva's birthday (AGAIN) and just had a great time. We went letterboxing, one of my favorite things to do, and bought the best baked goods from an Amish bakery. And we went to an Amish farm where Jaidyn, Jordan and Josh picked out bunnies to take home. No tubing on the river that weekend, but it was a very nice get-a-way.

School started September 7th. Eva's in fourth grade and her teacher is named Mrs. Koledo. She is the Linden superintendent's wife and very, very nice. I couldn't be happier with the way the school year has started out for Eva, she loves school and tells us how much she likes it every day. I'm so proud of her and so happy for her. Now Kayla is a completely different story.....

Kayla has been excited all summer about starting school, talking about it to everyone and getting her school supplies all ready. We signed her up for preschool at Care-A-Lot in Linden on Wednesday through Friday each week. Because we need daycare after school, she stays there after preschool and Eva rides the bus there on those days. Thursday, Todd gets out of work early, so it's really only two and a half days that she has to be there. There was not a doubt in my mind that she would run into school on the first day and take over the place. Boy was I wrong! Toddd and I both took her on Wednesday the 8th, and Kayla was a mess. She cried so hard when we dropped her off. I had to practically drag Todd out of there because he felt so bad leaving her. But I remember Eva crying the first day of preschool, and kids always stop when the parents leave. Not Kayla! I think she cried the whole day on and off. And that night, and the next morning, and the next, and even on the weekend! My heart was completely broken and I was wondering if we did the wrong thing. Eva likes it and the only reason Kayla mentions is that she hates to take naps and naptime is too long. Hmmmm, it sounds like someone is not adjusting well to rules and structure, something favorite Aunt Becky did not do for her this summer with all the spoiling. My sister is awesome, and I'll never be able to repay her or thank her enough for everything she's done for me. But, she has a hard time saying no to little K. :) Each day has been better, but it's a very slow process. On one hand I think this is good for Kayla (her teachers keep telling me I'm lucky we're doing this now before Kindergarten), but another part of me is very sad that my poor little Kayla is having such a hard time adjusting. I'm going to give it a little more time, it's only been three weeks, but something needs to change because I just don't want to see her so upset all the time. She's normally a very happy little girl.

No comments:

Blog Layout